Secretary Malhotra
Maryland Logo
Governor's Office

Representative Payee Program

Do you know someone who:

  • May be confused?
  • Forgets to pay rent or bills?
  • Needs help managing Social Security benefits?


or someone who:

  • Enjoys helping others?
  • Can spare 3-5 hours per month?
  • Is able to manage a checking account?

DHR’s Representative Payee Program may be the answer.

The Representative Payee Program was established so that elderly and adults with disabilities could be helped to manage their limited incomes.

Recipients of Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), veteran’s benefits, Civil Service or Black Lung benefits are eligible for the Representative Payee Program. Under the program a trained officially designated volunteer acts as the representative payee of an adult with disabilities. The volunteer manages a direct deposit checking account of the client’s funds to pay bills and make purchases, and monitors the client’s other needs. The volunteer’s liability is protected by being a local department of social services’ volunteer.

Volunteers are trained by members of the Representative Payee Program Advisory Board (RPPAB) in their jurisdiction. After training, the volunteer works with the customer to manage his/her monthly finances. Volunteers are not guardians or power of attorneys for the clients.

Through the Representative Payee Program the elderly and individuals with disabilities are helped to maintain their independence, and avoid premature institutionalization.

The Representative Payee Program is sponsored by the Office of Adult Services and participating local departments of social services.

Operation of the program in a participating jurisdiction is supported by an advisory board which is a partnership of the local department of social services and representatives from community services organizations such as faith groups, AARP, local governments, the Legal Aid Bureau, the Social Security Administration, local agencies on aging, local health departments and nursing homes.

If you know someone who may benefit from the Representative Payee Program, or who would like to volunteer to help, please call the appropriate telephone number.

Ask about the Representative Payee Program

Anne Arundel County
(Woods Church)
(410) 647-2550
Charles County
Department of Community Services
(301) 934-9305
St. Mary’s County
(240) 895-7096
Cecil County
(410) 996-0260
Mental Health Association of Montgomery County
(301) 424-0656 x 511