Secretary Malhotra
Maryland Logo
Governor's Office

Carroll County

This local office offers the following services.

Adoption Services

Focuses on developing profiles of children and the placement of children who are legally free to be adopted. Adoption services are provided to relatives and non-relative caretakers.  Post adoption services may include a monthly subsidy and medical assistance.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3434

Adult Protective Services (APS)

Serves persons aged 18 and over who are unable to protect their own interests or are at risk of abuse, neglect and/or exploitation.  Adult Protective Services provides investigative services to protect the health, safety, and welfare of vulnerable adults.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3434

Child Care Program

Also known as Purchase of Care (POC), coordinates child care services for eligible families and ensures payment to day care providers. Child Care services are provided to Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) customers participating in a work activity or a substance abuse treatment program as well as to other low-income working families.

Child Support Enforcement

Location & Contact Information
Carroll County Department of Social Services
Bureau of Support Enforcement
1232 Tech Court
Westminster, Maryland 21157

Mailing Address
P. O. Box 930
Westminster, MD 21158

Customer Service: 1-800-332-6347
Automated Customer Service & Payment Information: 1-800-723-9937

Mark Urbanik, Assistant Director

Office of the State’s Attorney for Carroll County
Office of the State’s Attorney for Carroll County
Child Support Division

10 Distillery Drive,Suite 100,
Westminster, Maryland 21157-5192

Brian DeLeonardo, State’s Attorney
Edgar Ocampo,
Assistant State’s Attorneys

Facsimile: 410-876-0494
TTY: 410-840-9047

More Information & Resources
The Honorable Kathryn Brewer Poole
Hearing Master
Historic Courthouse – Court Street
Westminster, Maryland 21157

Carroll County Sheriff’s Office
Child Support Unit

55 North Court Street, Suite G28
Westminster, Maryland 21157
Sgt. J. Fisher
DFC J Iannone

Clerk of the Circuit Court
Donald Sealing

55 North Court Street
Westminster, Maryland 21157

Family Support Services

Assists in the preservation of families and rebuilding of lives to prevent out-of-home placement. Anyone can make a referral, but the family must be willing to accept services.

Food Stamps (FS)

SNAP benefits supplements the grocery budget for low income families and individuals. Many people who receive Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) and Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP) are also eligible to receive Food Stamps. To see if you meet the eligibility requirements for Maryland’s Food Supplement Program (FSP), click here

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3494

Foster Care Services (FCS)

Provides services to court-committed children and to adults who are interested in becoming foster or adoptive parents.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3434

 In-Home Aide Services (IHAS)

Provides services to the elderly, disabled, ill, handicapped and those who need assistance with daily activities in order to remain in their homes. In addition, IHAS provides a parenting and job readiness program.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3434

Medical Assistance (MA)

Provides a federal entitlement program that allows low-income individuals to obtain medical care and treatment.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3494

Project HOME

Manages the Certified Adult Residential Environment (CARE) housing programs and provides supportive housing and case management to disabled adults, including persons with AIDS.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3434

SHINE(Setting Higher INdividual Expectations)

Carroll County Department of Social Services’ work program, SHINE is a collaborative program serving TCA (Temporary Cash Assistance) recipients , Absent Parents working with the BOSE (Bureau Of Support and Enforcement), and Foster Care Youth.

This strength-based program strides to meet customers at their level of education and training, then move them toward self-sufficiency. We achieve our objectives through continuing education, employment, gaining marketable skills through volunteer community internships and placements.
SHINE has partnered with BERC (Business and Employment Resource Center), Carroll Community College, and Carroll County Youth Service Bureau to support customers with workshops, tutorials, certificate training programs, and job fairs.

For more information on the SHINE program, please contact us at, or call our Customer Service line at 410-386-3494.


Please click here to view a listing of SHINE Documents.

Social Services to Adults (SSTA)

Provides social work services to persons aged 18 years and older who are not caring for children. Case management and crisis intervention services provide customers with links to community resources and internal BCDSS programs.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3434

Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA)

Provides a time limited cash assistance program for families to promote individual responsibility and self-sufficiency.

Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP)

Provides a state-funded cash assistance program for medical, housing and other services to disabled adults who are ineligible for other cash assistance programs.

♦ For more information  call: 410-386-3494