Governor’s Office

DHR Service: Emergency Assistance

Emergency Assistance to Families with Children (EAFC) provides emergency cash assistance to families who need emergency help paying rent or utilities. These funds are available through the local department once per year when funds are available.

  • DSS staff reviews each family situation to determine who is eligible.
  • Families must have one or more children under 21 living with them.
  • Families must present proof that they are behind on rent and have been/will be evicted.
  • Families must present notice from utility companies that services have been/will be cut off.


Apply at your Local Department of Social Services. Click here for a list of local departments or you can print an application form to fill out and take or mail to your local departments of social services. Please click here for application form.

You will need:

  1. Identification, Proof of Address (from Apartment or house lease; electric, gas, water, or phone bill; rent book; rent receipt; or mortgage statement)
  2. Proof of Income for Past 2 Months (from past 2 months pay stubs that show your income, or most recent benefit letter for government checks (SSI, SSDI, VA, Social Security, or any others)
  3. Proof of Emergency – Eviction or Utility Cut-Off Notice
  4. Proof of Other Cash or Non Cash resources. (Bring most recent savings and checking account statements)
  5. Social Security Numbers: Everyone who gets services must have a social security number. Proof of Household Expenses. Bring as many of the following as you can: most recent BG&E gas or electric bill; most recent fuel oil or propane bill that shows the company’s name, address, and telephone number; receipt or written statement of child care costs; real estate tax bill; recent doctor or hospital bills.